Thursday, December 27, 2007

It’s never too late to say Thank You!!!

Yes, I did participate in the Nike Women’s Marathon/Half Marathon on October 21st!!! There was more walking than running, but at least I made it. Due to some bone marrow edema in my hip (swollen bone barrow, next step to a stress fracture) my ability to participate in the event was in jeopardy. However, due to an AWESOME massage therapist (Rick Linvill), rest and positive mental attitude, I recovered enough to join thousands of women on a BEAUTIFUL Sunday morning in the great city of San Francisco. The SF tourism board would kill for days as gorgeous as we had. The temperature was perfect, with a nice breeze and beautiful blue skies. I’m so bummed that I didn’t bring my camera along. Next time I’ll have it.

My goal for the day…finish! (Cross the finish line and not visit the medical tent.) My hope was to finish under 5 hours. Well, I met/beat my goals. I crossed the finish line at 3 hours 57 mins and 8 seconds. That’s less than 4 hours! I was stoked. Considering the fact that just two weeks earlier I was having a hard time walking, I was able to walk/run 13.1 miles in under 4 hours…woohooo!!! And I did NOT visit to the medical tent. I was tired and sore, but NOT injured.
I took the advice of the head of my company, Dave Alberga…he said to go and have fun and not worry about my time. Just enjoy the experience. And that’s exactly what I did. I had a blast!

My game plan was to walk the first 3 miles for a really good/easy warm up. Then I would do 3/2 intervals. Run for 3 mins, walk for 2 mins. Plus, I would walk the hills. Sounds like a great plan, right? After three miles I tried running, my hip still wasn’t real happy with me, but it did cooperate. However, my 3/2 intervals turned into 3/3, 2/3, 2/5 intervals. I pretty much ran til it was uncomfortable, and then I walked. So much for my “plan”. Mile 6 was the start of the hills. They say that there are no “cable car” hills on the course, and while this is true, holy crap…it’s still the hills of San Francisco. As my daughter heard me exclaim as I hit mile 9, “Not another damn hill!”

Did I mention that my family was there to cheer me along? Well they were. My parents, husband and daughter all came with me on my journey. They were with me all during my training accomplishments and woes, and they were with me on the last leg of this journey. I have the best family ever!!

Natasha, my daughter, ran with me for a little bit at mile 3 and mile 9. But the best part was that she ran with me across the finish line! That was the coolest thing ever!!!

So, as I said…lots of hills. Which meant, more walking and less running. I did try to run up a hill or two. Quickly changed my mind. I did run down a few. But that’s the weird part…I could swear I ran UP at least 10 hills, but there were only 2 to run down. Very “Twilight Zone”.

I started this journey May 2007. My goal was to get fit. In order to accomplish my goal I needed a deadline and a plan, cause that’s how I roll. :-P

Due to a medical condition and medication needed to treat it, for the past two years my fitness level had been doing nothing but going in the absolutely wrong direction. Being the goal oriented and deadline driven person that I am, I figured that the only way I was going to get in to shape would be to meet a realistic goal (run a half marathon) by a certain date (Oct 21st). This training regimen meant that I would give up every Saturday morning for the “long runs” for 5 months…AND…I had to get up early (I am NOT a morning person – especially on the weekend)! Plus all the other training I’d be doing during the week.

By joining the Leukemia Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training I was able to accomplish my goals!!! I committed to raise $3250 for the Society and they committed to making me a runner. While TNT was a big part of my success, I have to say that Michelle Nation was the BIGGEST reason for my success. She helped turn me into a real runner and swimmer, oh and I can’t forget about the spinning classes and weight lifting sessions. Feel the burn!

My family sacrificed a lot as well. Giving up every Saturday morning to put my body through a new level of torture that I had never experienced before meant that I was pretty useless for the rest of the day and sometimes even Sunday was shot. Their patience and support while I was covered in ice packs and moaning meant a lot to me. Mom, Dad, Scott and Natasha...without your support, I would not have been able to achieve this crazy dream.

Last but not least…
To all of you that donated…THANK YOU so much
!!! I exceeded my fundraising goal of $3,250…and raised $3,378!!!! Like I said…every dollar counts.

I can’t say it enough, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You….THANK YOU…to everyone who offered words of encouragement, donated money and supported me along this crazy journey.

Wishing you all a very HAPPY and SAFE New Year…and hoping that you embark on a journey as fulfilling as mine has been.



Nicolas said...

WOW! Great job Liz! Very proud of you!
Dont stop now, keep the good momentum!

Congrats from Munich,


Jamie said...

Way to go Liz! I love how you didn't give up...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Tênis e Sapato, I hope you enjoy. The address is A hug.