Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Lizzie – A lot can happen in a month…

"It does not matter how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up." -Vince Lombardi

It’s been almost a month since my last update and a lot has definitely happened since then.

Reader’s Digest Version:
I’ve broken the 8 mile mark! I learned what a psoas (so-as) muscle is. I ran in my first official race. I’m working out 5 – 6 days a week. I’m at 85% of my fundraising goal.

Long Winded Version:
Sunday, August 19th was the America’s Finest City Half Marathon and 5K.
I ran the 5K (3.1 miles). This was my first time running in an official race. The run was pretty good. I ran/walked slower than I wanted too, but Michelle (my personal trainer and friend) reminded me that just a week earlier I was barely able to walk.

Ever heard of something called your psoas
muscle? Well, I hadn’t until mine got all inflamed and spastic shortly after completing another 6 miles on Saturday, August 11th. My original goal was to run 7 miles, but my body was just not gonna have it. Lots of chiro appts, gentle cross training/swimming and some rest and I was able to participate in the AFC. Whew!

The day of the AFC was unusually hot and humid for San Diego. I was very happy that it was not time for me to run the half. However, Michelle and several of my Active co-workers did participate in the grueling day.
I was very impressed with how well everyone did in such nasty conditions.



For the first time in my life I ran (ran/walked) 8 miles on Saturday, August 25th! (5 min run/1 min walk intervals) The last two miles were brutal, but I did it. It was an amazing feeling to hit this milestone. Again, I have to thank my “trainer” and friend, Michelle.
Michelle ran with me and encouraged me every step of the way. Did I mention that Michelle is training for the FULL marathon at Nike? Well, she is. So, not only is she kicking my ass along to the finish line, she’s whipping herself into shape and running crazy miles to prepare for her own race. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be where I am now.

I am now more than half way to my final goal of 13.1 miles!!!

Michelle and I are working out 5 – 6 days a week. Swimming, elliptical, weight training and spinning classes are keeping us busy early in the mornings (5:30 AM) and some afternoons. Oh and running too.

Michelle let me in on her hidden agenda of training me for a Sprint Distance Triathlon. Jeez! (The scary part is that I’m seriously considering it.)

This coming Saturday I will be running 9 miles. The Team will be meeting at the Solana Beach train station at 6:15 AM, where we will all board the train for a ride up to Oceanside. We then get to run back. Marathoners run back the full 16 miles (that means Michelle). Half marathoners run 9 miles (that’s me) and will get shuttled back to Solana Beach. Should be a great day along the coast.

Update on fundraising…
As for my fundraising goal, I am 85% of the way there.

Anda Willett (Active co-worker and friend) made some YUMMY Strawberry Layered mini-Cheesecakes for me to have a bake sale with. At $5 each, I was able to raise $100 in one day!!! Thanx Anda!!!

Candy sales have slowed a bit, but treats are still available. If you’re in the San Diego Active office, stop by my office to pick up a treat for the low, low price of $1.

REMINDER: The fundraising deadline is September 28th. So, for those of you that have been holding out, now’s the time!!! I need to raise a minimum $3250. If I haven’t met the minimum by this date I will need to pay the difference. Ouch!
Go here to donate: http://www.active.com/donate/tntsdh/Lizzie

For those of you that have already donated, thank you so much!!!

1 comment:

Michelle Ruth said...

you're going to have to warn me before you write another one of these ... :-)